For the times when we want to be reminded how awesome surfing really is, here is a list of our top 20 favorite surfing quotes in no particular order. Like these quotes? Like surfing? Like Us!
We love to hear your comments and favorite quotes!
1. “There are no more committed people on the planet than surfers. We fall down a lot. We turn around, paddle back out, and do it over and over again. Unlike anything else in life, the stoke of surfing is so high that the failures quickly fade from memory.” -Gary Sirota (surfer)
2. “For those searching for something more than just the norm. We lay it all down, including what others call sanity, for just a few moments on waves larger than life. We do this because we know there is still something greater than all of us. Something that inspires us spiritually. We start going down hill, when we stop taking risks.” -Laird Hamilton (big wave surfer)
3. “Surfing equates to living in the very moment of ‘now’. When you ride a wave you leave behind all things important and unimportant, the purity of the moment is upon you.” -Bill Hamilton (surfer)
4. “Sliding a wave removes our brains out of the ordinary and slips us into the extra ordinary of being there now. No more worries about mortgages or strife of being poor or rich. When you enter the domain of an ocean cylinder, that moment, those split seconds belong to the Zen part of just being. Period.” -Bill Hamilton (surfer)
5. “Look at it! It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity, man! Let me go out there and let me get one wave, just one wave before you take me in. I mean, come on man, where I am I gonna go? Cliffs on both sides! I’m not gonna paddle my way to New Zealand! Come on, compadre. Come on!” -Point Break Bodhi / Patrick Swayze
6. “Not only were you riding down this mountain but the mountain is chasing after you and you need to figure out how to escape the mountain but also use it.” -Riding Giants (on Big Wave Surfing)
7. “I took off on a wave, went down the side, popped out the other end, and went, shit, I’m still alive!” -Greg Noll (on surfing Waimea Bay for the fist time)”
8. “It’s like the mafia. Once you’re in – your in. There’s no getting out” -Kelly Slater
9. “It’s all about where your mind’s at.” -Kelly Slater
10. “The joy of surfing is so many things combined, from the physical exertion of it, to the challenge of it, to the mental side of the sport.” -Kelly Slater
11. “Not to sound too deep or weird, but I think that the times when you really appreciate surfing are the times you’re really sort of becoming one with nature. Surfing’s as raw of a sport as it gets.” -Kelly Slater
12. “The best surfer out there is the one having the most fun” -Duke Kahanamoku
13. “Waves are not measured in feet and inches, they are measured in increments of fear.” -Buzzy Trent
14. “You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf” -Jon Kabat-Zinn
15. “Surfing is very much like making love. It always feels good, no matter how many times you’ve done it” -Paul Strauch
16. “Surfing soothes me, it’s always been a kind of Zen experience for me. The ocean is so magnificent, peaceful, and awesome. The rest of the world disappears for me when I’m on a wave.” -Paul Walker
17. “One of the greatest things about the sport of surfing is that you need only three things: your body, a surf-board, and a wave.” -Naima Green
18. “I haven`t prepared as much as I would like to but it will be fun to get out there again. I have nothing left to prove in surfing but still have the desire to keep going.” -Layne Beachley
19. “I could not help concluding this man had the most supreme pleasure while he was driven so fast and so smoothly by the sea” -Captain James Cooke
20. “Surfing, alone among sports, generates laughter at its very suggestion, and this is because it turns not a skill into an art, but an inexplicable and useless urge into a vital way of life” -Matt Warshaw
Don’t forget to comment below and share your favorite surfing quotes! For more great surfing information check out some of our favorite surfing blog posts.
Our mission is to provide inspiration for growth and renewal through surfing and yoga on the beautiful island of Maui. Read our blog or subscribe to our feeds and newsletter to prepare for your surf and wellness vacation or stay in the bliss if you've headed home. SwellWomen discusses surf, health and Maui lifestyle with news tidbits and useful tips.